Arkansas Infrastructure SIP Revision and NAAQS SIP
Under the Clean Air Act (CAA) sections 110(a)(1) and 110(a)(2), each state is required to submit a SIP (State Implementation Plan) that provides for the implementation, maintenance, and enforcement of a revised primary or secondary NAAQS (National Ambient Air Quality Standard). CAA section 110(a)(1) and section 110(a)(2) require each state to make this new SIP submission within three years after the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) promulgates a new or revised NAAQS. The requirement for a NAAQS SIP was established by Act 1302 of 2013 and codified in Ark. Code Ann. §§ 8-4-317 and 8-4-318. ADEQ fully considered State requirements during NAAQS SIP development.
ADEQ has completed a SIP revision to address the EPA's revisions to the 2006 NAAQS for fine particulate matter (PM2.5), 2008 NAAQS for ozone (O3), 2008 NAAQS for lead (Pb), 2010 NAAQS for nitrogen dioxide (NO2), and 2010 NAAQS for sulfur dioxide (SO2) The SIP development process included revisions to the Arkansas Pollution Control and Ecology Commission (APC&EC) Regulation 19, Regulations of the Arkansas Plan of Implementation for Air Pollution Control, specifically with regard to permitting situations under the Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) program. APC&EC adopted these changes on August 22, 2014. ADEQ also addressed EPA’s revised 2012 PM2.5 NAAQS by expanding the applicability of the revised NAAQS approved in the August 2014 rulemaking to non-PSD permitting situations.
The SIP development public participation process has ended and the SIP revision has been submitted to the EPA for review.
Links to the final infrastructure and NAAQS SIP and comments received on the SIP are provided below.
Stakeholder Feedback and Additional Resources
ADEQ does not specifically endorse or otherwise agree (or disagree) with any statement contained within any third-party materials posted to this site. These materials are merely provided to you for your information and consideration.
- Guidance on Infrastructure State Implementation Plan (SIP) Elements under Clean Air Act Sections 110(a)(1) and 110(a)(2)
- Arkansas Total County Paved and Unpaved Mileages
- ADEQ 2012 Modeling Protocol
- PM Speciation Data for Upper Buffalo and Caney Creek
- Federal Land Manager Environmental Database
- Caney Creek Visibility Trends
- Upper Buffalo Visibility Trends
- EPA Air Data
- Developing the NAAQS SIP: A Look at Minor Stationary Sources
- Arkansas Environmental Federation Comments on ADEQ’s NAAQS SIP/Minor New Source Review (NSR) Permitting Guidance Document
- Arkansas Environmental Federation 2014 “NAAQS Reviews and Modeling for Minor New Source Review under the Arkansas Infrastructure SIP” Discussion Guide
- Arkansas Environmental Federation NAAQS Implementation White Paper
- AEP-Southwestern Electric Power Company Comments-Minor NSR Permitting Guidance Document
- EPA Comments on the Draft NAAQS SIP/Minor NSR Permitting Guidance Document
- Georgia-Pacific Arkansas NAAQS SIP Comments
- Richard Hays Comments on Modeling Requirements for New Minor Source Construction or Modification Activities for Compliance with National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS)
- US Forestry Service Request for Fuel Loading Estimates Used by Arkansas in Modeling for the Development of the NAAQS SIP