Arkansas National Ambient Air Quality Standard (NAAQS) State Implementation Plan (SIP) Development Information
Under the Clean Air Act (CAA) sections 110(a)(1) and 110(a)(2), each state is required to submit a SIP that provides for the implementation, maintenance, and enforcement of a revised primary or secondary NAAQS. CAA section 110(a)(1) and section 110(a)(2) require each state to make this new SIP submission within three years after the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) promulgates a new or revised NAAQS.
ADEQ started the SIP process to include the EPA's revisions to the 2006 NAAQS for fine particulate matter (PM2.5), 2008 NAAQS for ozone (O3), 2008 NAAQS for lead (Pb), 2010 NAAQS for nitrogen dioxide (NO2), and 2010 NAAQS for sulfur dioxide (SO2) by proposing revisions to the Arkansas Pollution Control and Ecology Commission (APC&EC) Regulation 19, Regulations of the Arkansas Plan of Implementation for Air Pollution Control, specifically with regard to permitting situations under the Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) program. APC&EC adopted these changes on August 22, 2014.
On December 5, 2014, ADEQ initiated revisions to APC&EC Regulation 19 to include EPA’s revised 2012 PM2.5 NAAQS and to expand the applicability of the revised NAAQS approved in the August 2014 rulemaking to non-PSD permitting situations. A public hearing regarding the proposed regulatory changes was held at ADEQ headquarters on January 12, 2015. The public comment period for this rulemaking ended on February 17, 2015.
In the upcoming SIP revision, ADEQ fully considered the state requirements for the NAAQS SIP established by Act 1302 of 2013 and codified in Ark. Code Ann. §§ 8-4-317 and 8-4-318.
ADEQ hosted a series of stakeholder meetings, which were open to the public, to discuss development of the NAAQS SIP with Stakeholders representing a variety of interested parties. Meetings were held on December 18, 2014, January 13, 2015, January 28 2015, and February 10, 2015. The stakeholder process for the initial development phase of the Arkansas NAAQS SIP has concluded.
Proposed Infrastructure SIPs and NAAQS SIP
ADEQ is proposing revisions to the Arkansas SIP to address requirements under CAA §§ 110(a)(1) and 110(a)(2) for the 2006 NAAQS for PM2.5, 2008 NAAQS for O3, 2008 NAAQS for Pb, 2010 NAAQS for NO2, 2010 NAAQS for SO2, and the 2012 PM2.5 NAAQS. The proposed SIP revision also addresses requirements for a NAAQS SIP under Ark. Code Ann. § 8-4-318 and establishes NAAQS evaluation requirements for minor new source review permitting actions.
ADEQ will accept written and electronic comments received no later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday February 27, 2017. Written comments should be mailed to Tricia Treece, Office of Air Quality, Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality, 5301 Northshore Drive, North Little Rock, AR 72118. Electronic comments should be sent to: email@example.com.
A member of the public may also request a hearing. If a hearing request is received by 4:30 p.m. on February 14, 2017, ADEQ will hold a public hearing on February 21, 2017 at 2:00 p.m. in the Commission Room on the first floor of ADEQ headquarters located at 5301 Northshore Drive, North Little Rock, Arkansas. If no request is received by the deadline, ADEQ will not hold a public hearing, and ADEQ will announce the cancellation of the hearing on this page by 4:30 p.m. February 15, 2017. If a public hearing is requested, but inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances require ADEQ to postpone the hearing, ADEQ will post this decision. To request a public hearing or to find out whether the public hearing has been cancelled, please contact Kelly Jobe by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 501-682-0084.
The proposed SIP revision and supporting documents will be maintained on this webpage throughout the public comment period.
- Proposed Infrastructure SIP and NAAQS SIP
- Evidence of Adoption of Changes to APC&EC Regulation No. 19 and Regulation No. 26
- Legal Authority to Adopt and Implement the Plan
- APC&EC Regulation No. 19 and Regulation No. 26 with Changes Indicated—SIP Chapters Only
- Final APC&EC Regulation No. 19 and Regulation No. 26—SIP Chapters Only
- Procedural Requirements
- Record of Public Participation
Stakeholder Feedback and Additional Resources
ADEQ does not specifically endorse or otherwise agree (or disagree) with any statement contained within any third-party materials posted to this site. These materials are merely provided to you for your information and consideration.
- Guidance on Infrastructure State Implementation Plan (SIP) Elements under Clean Air Act Sections 110(a)(1) and 110(a)(2)
- Arkansas Total County Paved and Unpaved Mileages
- ADEQ 2012 Modeling Protocol
- PM Speciation Data for Upper Buffalo and Caney Creek
- Federal Land Manager Environmental Database
- Caney Creek Visibility Trends
- Upper Buffalo Visibility Trends
- EPA Air Data
- Developing the NAAQS SIP: A Look at Minor Stationary Sources
- Arkansas Environmental Federation Comments on ADEQ’s NAAQS SIP/Minor New Source Review (NSR) Permitting Guidance Document
- Arkansas Environmental Federation 2014 “NAAQS Reviews and Modeling for Minor New Source Review under the Arkansas Infrastructure SIP” Discussion Guide
- Arkansas Environmental Federation NAAQS Implementation White Paper
- AEP-Southwestern Electric Power Company Comments-Minor NSR Permitting Guidance Document
- EPA Comments on the Draft NAAQS SIP/Minor NSR Permitting Guidance Document
- Georgia-Pacific Arkansas NAAQS SIP Comments
- Richard Hays Comments on Modeling Requirements for New Minor Source Construction or Modification Activities for Compliance with National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS)
- US Forestry Service Request for Fuel Loading Estimates Used by Arkansas in Modeling for the Development of the NAAQS SIP