Hazardous Waste Transportation Requirements

All hazardous wastes shipped in or through Arkansas must be properly contained and labeled, and transported only by permitted hazardous waste transporters. Hazardous Waste Manifest Forms must be used as shipping papers to document the shipment of hazardous wastes in or through Arkansas. Hazardous wastes may only be shipped to permitted hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities (TSDFs).

Who May Transport Hazardous Wastes

The transportation of hazardous wastes is regulated by both federal and state regulatory agencies—the U.S. Department of Transportation, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Arkansas Highway Police, and DEQ.

In order to protect the people and environment of our state, the Arkansas Highway Police in cooperation with DEQ has developed an annual permitting process for transporters of hazardous wastes. In addition to having a valid state permit, transporters must have a valid EPA identification number to transport hazardous wastes in or through Arkansas.

Arkansas Hazardous Waste Transportation Permits

Information regarding Arkansas Hazardous Waste Transportation Permits is available from:

Arkansas Highway Police
ATTN: Hazardous Waste Transportation Permits
P.O. Box 2779
10324 Interstate 30
Little Rock, AR 72209
Fax: 501-568-4921

Documenting the Shipment of Hazardous Waste

DEQ requires that the shipment of hazardous waste from Arkansas and/or to Arkansas be documented on an approved Hazardous Waste Manifest Form (EPA-Form 8700-22). Through the use of the manifest, DEQ can track the movement of hazardous waste from the point of generation to the point of its ultimate treatment, storage, or disposal.