Wind Turbine Considerations

If the land disturbed while erecting the turbine is greater than one acre, then a Stormwater Construction General Permit (ARR150000) is required.

Land disturbance between 1 acre and 4.99 acres is considered a small construction site and requires an Automatic Coverage Posting and development of a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP). Although submission of these documents to DEQ is not required, they should be kept on site. Small construction sites are still required to adhere to all requirements in the permit, although approval of the automatic coverage is not required and there is not an associated fee.

Large construction sites are any sites that are 5 acres or greater. Large construction sites are required to submit a Notice of Intent and SWPPP to DEQ and receive approval prior to beginning construction. Permits for large construction sites are typically issued two weeks from the postmark date.

More information, permits, and forms can be found in the Water Permits Section under Stormwater General Permits.

The following list of agencies is provided as a resource for individuals and facilities interested in erecting wind turbines. DEQ does not assume liability for this list or claim that it is all encompassing. It is meant to be used solely as an aid.

Federal Aviation Administration

If your facility maintains three or more turbines that are each over 200 feet above ground level, you will need to ensure they are marked and lighted properly. For more information, download Advisory Circular (AC 70/7460-1K) Obstruction Marking and Lighting

Arkansas Flight Standards District Office
1701 Bond St.
Little Rock, AR 72202
Phone: 501-918-4400
Fax: 501-918-4403

Arkansas Energy Office

Find information on federal incentives and other topics related to wind turbines at

DEQ’s Arkansas Energy Office
Phone: 800-558-2633

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

The Endangered and Threatened Species Evaluation may be used to get clearance for wind turbine construction, in most instances, from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. A good reference is the agency's Arkansas Wind Energy Bird and Bat Monitoring Guidelines: Recommendations to avoid and minimize potential wildlife impacts from wind energy

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Arkansas Field Office
1110 South Amity Rd., Suite 300
Conway, AR 72032
Phone: 501-513-4470
Fax: 501-513-4480