General Stormwater NPDES Permits
When stormwater from rain or snow melt flows, it carries dirt, litter, chemicals, or other pollutants that could harm water quality. Stormwater discharges are considered point sources, and stormwater permitting is administered under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program.
DEQ issues individual and general stormwater permits. The permit conditions for an individual permit are specific for each facility. General permits are used for those facilities with similar operations. Facilities seek coverage with a Notice of Intent (NOI) document to obtain coverage under a general permit.
Find notices of a specific general permit:
- Notices of facilities that have submitted a recent NOI for coverage under the MS4 general permit ARR040000
How to Receive Coverage through a General Stormwater Permit
DEQ considers issuing a Notice of Coverage (NOC) to facilities seeking coverage only after payment has been received. When applicable, send a completed and signed NOI, a completed Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP), and permit fee to:
Division of Environmental Quality
Water Discharge Permits Section
5301 Northshore Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72118-5317
Or email documents in PDF format to Water Permits Application.
Most General NPDES Permits may be completed and submitted online through the DEQ ePortal site.
- Visit the DEQ ePortal website.
- Select Organization. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Scroll to Water, General NPDES Permits to find form selections.
- Before using ePortal, register online then download and complete the DEQ Electronic Signature Agreement form and mail it to the Electronic Signature Agreement Committee, Division of Environmental Quality, 5301 Northshore Drive, North Little Rock, AR 72118.
Why use ePortal?
The DEQ ePortal system has all the conveniences of online submission while also allowing you to track your submission’s progress.
- DMR - Discharge Monitoring Report
- NOC - Notice of Coverage
- NOI - Notice of Intent
- NOT - Notice of Termination
- SWPPP - Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan
- SWAR - Stormwater Annual Report