What's New with Hazardous Waste?
In an effort to better communicate with our regulated community about rule changes such as the Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule https://www.epa.gov/hwgenerators/final-rule-hazardous-waste-generator-improvements, the Division of Environmental Quality’s Office of Land Resources has developed what we intend to be the first in a series of Hazardous Waste compliance fact sheets.
Hazardous Waste Compliance Fact Sheet
Short-Term & Episodic Generators — This fact sheet is intended to further define what is considered an episodic event as well as provide examples of both planned and unplanned episodic events.
The Hazardous Waste Compliance Fact Sheets are designed to provide general information only. They are not intended to replace, interpret, or modify the laws, rules, or regulations they address.
The DEQ Hazardous Waste Branch:
- Implements Arkansas's Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Subtitle C waste management program governing the management and disposition of hazardous wastes, used oils, and universal wastes.
- Implements the state's cleanup program for abandoned hazardous waste sites in cooperation with EPA's Superfund program.
- Administers the state's hazardous waste program under the authority of the Arkansas Hazardous Waste Management Act (Ark. Code, Ann Sects. 8-7-202 et seq.).
- Administers the hazardous site clean-up program under authority of the Remedial Action Trust Fund Act (Ark. Code, Ann Sects. 8-7-501 et seq.).
- Has received delegation of the federal RCRA hazardous waste management program from EPA. State and federal hazardous waste management regulations and requirements are merged into a single reference document, Arkansas Pollution Control and Ecology Commission Regulation 23.
The Hazardous Waste Office strives to enhance and protect health and the environment by the safe management of hazardous wastes and substances through a program of:
- Compliance monitoring and enforcement
- Site remediation
- Encouraging waste minimization and pollution prevention for the benefit of all Arkansans